This is RIDICULOUS! I tried to take Cora in for her 6-month well-baby checkup yesterday. We're still on the BYU student health plan, so I called the insurance company to preauthorize her visit. And they said go ahead. So I went to the doctor. Ok, I need to explain something. The student health plan is through DMBA, Deseret Mutual Benefits Administrators, and they've contracted with First Health network to provide service if you go outside the Utah/Idaho area. So when I went to the doctor, they didn't recognize the insurance company, so they called DMBA to make sure we were covered. And they said that DMBA said they didn't cover physicals. What????? I took Cora for all her appointments at the Health Center in Provo no problem! Thinking it might have been a misunderstanding (maybe they thought the appointment was for me, not Cora), I called DMBA today. And they said, "No, we don't routine checkups like that because you can get them at the Health Center." RIDICULOUS! RIDICULOUSRIDICULOUSRIDICULOUSRIDICULOUSRIDICULOUSRIDICULOUSRIDICULOUSRIDICULOUSRIDICULOUSRIDICULOUSRIDICULOUSRIDICULOUSRIDICULOUSRIDICULOUSRIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can you tell I'm a little ticked about this? Haven't they heard of preventative medicine? Actually I think what I'm more ticked about is that they never told us that. They were just like, "oh, yeah, just go through First Health and you'll be fine." Bah! I never would have stayed on the health plan if I knew they weren't going to cover Cora's checkups!v And of course we find this out after paying a $1200 premium for the semester. Grrrrrrrrrrr.
So, if any of you are BYU students on the health plan, do not try to use it if you move somewhere else, especially if you have kids. That probably doesn't apply to many of you, but I just wanted to get that out there.
I have so much to say about this that I'll send you an email!
ReplyDeleteOooh, that's bad! Take heart though! I for one never "discovered" something in a preventative way at a well-baby visit. I kind of feel like they're pointless. But yes, I can't believe they did that! What did they say when you told them you lived in TX?
ReplyDeleteYou know, I have DMBA- but not the student health plan-- and they are fantastic! I have heard, however, that the student health plan through them is not so great-- sorry it's not treating you so well...
ReplyDelete